archiva-dev mailing list archives

From Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>
Subject decoupling the database
Date Sun, 14 Sep 2008 01:34:40 GMT
Hi,

I started a branch to make the archiva database optional. My thought
is to continue to have it present for reporting and some of the
visualisation, but for a default install for proxy/browse that it
won't be needed. I'm not thinking of changing security at this point.

I've created this branch:
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/archiva/branches/archiva-database-decoupling/

And put a little plan here:
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/archiva/branches/archiva-database-decoupling/branch-working-notes.txt?revision=694625&view=markup

I've done stage 1 and will merge that to trunk. It was a fairly
straightforward refactoring to separate the concerns, and found some
bugs on the way that have been fixed with tests added.

I'll look at stage 2 & 3 next with a view to the repository metadata
thread earlier.

James showed me some ideas for an event bus when I was at the JUG last
Thursday. I see he's integrated that into the branch now, so we can do
some of stage 4 in parallel. I haven't had a chance to review that
yet, but it's definitely something we need to be able to work more
effectively with plugins and to keep the subsystems well separated.
I'd like to see the design of that hashed out a bit here if we can.
This pushes us towards that target architecture I posted recently.

Any questions or comments? Anyone interested in hacking away at a
piece of this?

Cheers,
Brett

--