archiva-dev mailing list archives

From Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>
Subject Target architecture
Date Thu, 14 Aug 2008 07:41:56 GMT
Hi,

It's come up a couple of times about what the architecture of Archiva
should be like, as there are a couple of things that we're not happy
with. I thought it'd be good to try and agree on what the "end point"
might be so that anyone wanting to move in that direction is free to
do so.

I took a stab at this here: http://people.apache.org/~brett/archiva-target-architecture.png

The key points:
* moving the database, etc, out of the "base" application (so this
would be dependent on being able to operate based on the metadata/
repository API alone, which was the basis for the other thread)
* moving towards a plugin architecture for as much as possible (so
while we might have 2 or 3 standard distributions, it should be
possible to easily assembly just the functionality you want)
* clearly defined extension points (today, this is really just
consumers). Note this is for the Archiva system itself, obviously
there are similar points for the security, for example

I haven't really dealt with the plugin aspect of the webapp/web
services where you might expose that in some pluggable fashion, nor
considered using a particular plugin architecture - we've got some way
to go in isolating the existing components before taking that step.

Did I miss any important pieces?

Other thoughts, questions, violent reactions? :)

Cheers,
Brett

--
Brett Porter