archiva-dev mailing list archives

From James William Dumay <ja...@atlassian.com>
Subject Re: [comments] metadata-updater consumer in 1.2
Date Thu, 14 Aug 2008 10:58:15 GMT

On 14/08/2008, at 6:58 PM, Maria Odea Ching wrote:

>> How I propose this will work:
>> 1. consume both POM artifact and metadata events
>> 2. create a new maven-metadata.xml if it does not exist (Only if
>> the event
>> was a POM event)'
>> 4. check if a metadata update is actually needed (ie, if the
>> artifact is
>> already in the existing metadata, do nothing).
>> 3. Merge metadata given a new POM event or metadata event.
>

> Hmm, what if the metadata is broken or corrupted (ex. there are
> versions
> specified in the metadata but doesn't actually exist in the repo)?
> Will the
> metadata be checked for that & get updated too?

Removing missing versions is a little bit more difficult. If there was
some differentiation between a managed repository used for deployment
or used as a proxy cache this might be possible.

Metadata in the managed repository shows an incomplete view of one or
more remote repositories that may not have their versions on disk yet
- so in this case I believe we should keep those versions and not
remove them.

>> Advantages:
>> * cuts out the lossy conversion from path -> Artifact/
>> VersionedReference ->
>> path
>> * can figure out the correct location, groupId, artifactId and
>> version of
>> the metadata file to be updated or created by reading POM metadata.
>> * You would be able to transform a local repository into a server
>> repository
>> * This implementation will have unit tests.
>>
>> Disadvantages:
>> * May not have the entire model available on disk. In this case if
>> the
>> parent is needed for a new metadata file to be written then we
>> simply do
>> nothing with this consumer event. Later scans will probably happen
>> at a
>> time
>> when the parent becomes available.
>> * Walking the POM inheritance tree may be a little slower as you
>> will need
>> read/parse for every time you want to go up one level in the tree.
>>
>> Thoughts? Questions?
>

> Sounds good to me :)

Cool :)

James