archiva-dev mailing list archives

From "Wendy Smoak" <wsm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: What do we need to establish?
Date Fri, 09 May 2008 15:45:25 GMT
On Fri, May 9, 2008 at 1:19 AM, Maria Odea Ching <oching@apache.org> wrote:

>  This is what we currently have:
>  http://cwiki.apache.org/ARCHIVA/archiva-release-process.html
>
>  It's basically adopted from Maven's release procedure.
>  Does anyone think the 72 hrs. voting time is not enough for testing the
>  release? Or there's something wrong with the ordering of the process that we
>  have now? Thoughts, anyone? :-)

72 hours is the minimum, the RM can decide to wait longer (especially
if someone asks for more time.)  The process will evolve, I'm not
concerned with getting every step exactly right, as long as the end
result is the same.

I'd like to see an announcement a couple of days prior to the tag.
Nothing formal, essentially what James did, letting us know he's
planning on a release this weekend.  A tag should not be a surprise to
anyone who is watching the dev list.

I'd also like to discuss versioning.  I"m not a fan of baking the
quality into the version number (as 1.1-beta-1).  My preference is
that the next release is 1.1 (or 1.1.0) and then 1.1.1, 1.1.2.  If it
doesn't pass a vote, we discard it and move on.  Quality is determined
after the release distribution exists, during the vote. (This is the
httpd/Tomcat/Struts style of releasing.)

--
Wendy