archiva-dev mailing list archives

From Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>
Subject Re: What do we need to establish?
Date Sat, 10 May 2008 20:15:37 GMT
I suggest we take this one to a vote (perhaps Wendy could kick it
off), with the options:

- Maven style (alpha, beta, final, point release)
- Eclipse style (M1, M2, M3, final, point release - though Eclipse
don't have the last ones)
- httpd style (.0.0, .0.1, .0.2, .0.3)

And here are my opinions:
- I'm tired of the Maven style. I've heard people actually saying it's
ok to break things because it's just an alpha. I would rather
encourage development practices that mean every release should be
production quality.
- But I'm a realist - releases need broader testing to assess
production quality.
- milestones seem more akin to a set roadmap per release that gets
done in stages, rather than timeboxing
- httpd-style can be a little confusing to users, at least at first
(will the real release please stand up?). I think this is mitigated by
only putting the final final releases on release repo and mirrors
- httpd-style is not very effective for "milestones", since you end up
making the 20th or 30th release your first "real" release
- Hudson uses the extreme of the last style (everything is a feature
release, everything is a final release)

Cheers,
Brett

--