archiva-dev mailing list archives

From Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Archiva search integration in Q4E
Date Mon, 26 May 2008 12:25:54 GMT

On 26/05/2008, at 10:18 PM, Milos Kleint wrote:

> Hey,
>
> Until there's a webservice running 24/7 against central repository,
> there's no need to actually consider it for IDE integration I believe.
> Additionally the downloadable index can satisfy multiple requests at
> once, reasonably fast from multiple repositories. That makes
> aggregation of multiple repos reasonably predictable. With webservices
> you end up with one server having unreliable response, being down,
> unreachable etc. and everything get bogged down.
> The upside is always uptodate data, but I'm not convinced it's that
> important for index content. a month old central repo is more than
> enough.

I think this one is more for the behind the firewall types, and would
be used in conjunction with a downloadable index for central and the
like.

> just my 2 cents.
>
> Milos Kleint
>
> PS: the netbeans maven integration is using nexus as primary indexing
> engine (more are possible throung pluggable spi) just for this reason:
> it has central repo index up.

I've talked a bit in the past about adding an additional in a nexus
compatible format generator for Archiva (the format is quite similar
to one we already had in older versions of Archiva with some new
fields), so that should be a safe bet.

- Brett

--
Brett Porter