archiva-dev mailing list archives

From "Maria Odea Ching" <och...@apache.org>
Subject Re: svn commit: r645833 - in /archiva/trunk: archiva-jetty/src/main/conf/jetty.xml archiva-modules/archiva-web/archiva-rss/src/main/java/org/apache/archiva/rss/processor/NewArtifactsRssFeedProcessor.java
Date Wed, 09 Apr 2008 06:10:51 GMT
On Wed, Apr 9, 2008 at 11:07 AM, Brett Porter <brett@apache.org> wrote:

> this sounds like a good optimisation, does it also take into account
> additions via upload (which triggers the consumers, just not the full scan)?

It just relies on the full scan. Hmm, I wasn't aware that artifact uploads
also triggers the consumers.. I'll take a look into this.

> Is it persisted to disk so it is still correct after a restart?

Yep, it's being written into the disk with different filenames and is
updated everytime new artifacts are discovered in the repo. Now that you've
mentioned this, I think I should also put a check or limit as to how many
entries in the feeds should be kept so as to prevent the size of the files
from bloating.

I wonder if instead of generating the full RSS, just the information about
> what is to be included could be stored/cached and then the RSS is generated
> on a request for it only so we can populate the host/port from the servlet
> context?

Hmm, by 'request' do you mean when a user clicks the rss feed icon to
subscribe to a feed? If it is, my only concern here is for the new feed
entries. Since a user only subscribes to a feed once, if we have new feed
entries (e.g. new artifacts discovered after another repo scan) then the rss
would only be generated or updated if another user subscribes to the feed
:-)

- Brett

> On 09/04/2008, at 12:00 PM, Maria Odea Ching wrote:
>
>  Unfortunately, not all the time.. The generation and update of the feeds
> > are
> > triggered after a repository scan, which can be scheduled or explicitly
> > executed.
> > I could get the servlet context when the scan is explicitly executed,
> > but I
> > don't think i can get it when it's executed by the task executor.
> >
> > -Deng
> >
> > On Tue, Apr 8, 2008 at 8:06 PM, Brett Porter <brett@apache.org> wrote:
> >
> >  Hi Deng,
> > >
> > > Is there any access to the servlet context to obtain this instead?
> > >
> > > - Brett

Thanks,
Deng