archiva-dev mailing list archives

From "Napoleon Esmundo C. Ramirez" <napoleonesmundocarpiorami...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Plan to migrate towards Spring?
Date Tue, 19 Feb 2008 02:20:37 GMT
On Feb 19, 2008 7:17 AM, Brett Porter <brett@apache.org> wrote:

> On 19/02/2008, at 9:37 AM, Joakim Erdfelt wrote:
>
> > I've felt that we need to migrate our choice of IoC (plexus) towards
> > a better documented and better supported container (I'm leaning
> > towards Spring)
> >
> > I also recognize that this kind of change can't be done quickly or
> > in a big-bang approach.
> > I've started an assessment of the plexus usage within Archiva and
> > have planned out a first draft on what we can do to change that usage.
>
> Sounds great.

+1

> > There are plenty of plexus components that need to be migrated
> > before we can make the change to use a container such as spring.
> > There's also the whole Redback package that would need to be
> > migrated as well.
>
> Another thing is that (if it's easier/makes sense) we can continue
> using those plexus components but add alternate wiring information to
> them. I think some of them are valuable or need a different fix (eg,
> the webdav).

This sounds workable.  In my experience, both IoC can work side-by-side with
alternate configurations.  This may be the step to migrating to a bigger
world. ;)

> > org.codehaus.plexus.jdo.DefaultConfigurableJdoFactory;
> > org.codehaus.plexus.jdo.JdoFactory;
> >
> > Used:
> >   archiva-scheduled
> >   archiva-database
> > Plan:
> >   Migrate to JDK 1.5 + JPA + Annotations
>
> Bigger job, but long term seems to make sense. This can be isolated in
> the database module for now. Also not sure why JDO stuff is in -
> scheduled.

I agree to using JPA.

> >   Develop redback <-> spring integration and use it.
>
> +1

A tough road, but I agree to this.

> > org.codehaus.plexus.registry.commons.CommonsConfigurationRegistry;
> > org.codehaus.plexus.registry.Registry;
> > org.codehaus.plexus.registry.RegistryException;
> > org.codehaus.plexus.registry.RegistryListener;
> >
> > Used:
> >   archiva-artifact-reports
> >   archiva-configuration
> >   archiva-core-consumers
> >   archiva-database-consumers
> >   archiva-indexer
> >   archiva-lucene-consumers
> >   archiva-proxy
> >   archiva-repository-layer
> >   archiva-scheduled
> >   archiva-security
> >   archiva-webapp
> > Plan:
> >   Use commons-configuration
> >   or Spring JavaConfig
>
> Will need to look into this. I might just want to migrate the registry
> to commons.

+1

> > org.codehaus.plexus.scheduler.AbstractJob;
> > org.codehaus.plexus.scheduler.CronExpressionValidator;
> > org.codehaus.plexus.scheduler.Scheduler;
> >
> > Uses:
> >   archiva-scheduled
> >   archiva-webapp
> > Plan:
> >   Use Spring Scheduler / Quartz.
>
> +1

Quartz is good.

> >   Use commons-io equivalents
>
> +1
>

> > org.codehaus.plexus.util.StringUtils;
> >
> > Used:
> >   archiva-repository-layer
> > Plan:
> >   Switch to commons-lang
>
> +1

I wonder why we don't use most of the commons-* ? :-/

> > org.codehaus.plexus.xwork.action.PlexusActionSupport;
> >
> > Used:
> >   archiva-webapp
> > Plan:
> >   Switch to SwingMVC
>
> Swing?
>
> I'm not convinced SpringMVC is a good move - we would be better going
> to struts2 or staying with Webwork since it's minimal impact to the
> code. The other doesn't bring any obvious benefit for all the work?

SpringMVC would impact too much of the current code.  I'd still rather go
with webwork.