archiva-dev mailing list archives

From "Wendy Smoak" <wsm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Plan to migrate towards Spring?
Date Tue, 19 Feb 2008 03:47:53 GMT
On Feb 18, 2008 8:23 PM, Joakim Erdfelt <joakim@erdfelt.com> wrote:

> I've been checking out some performance / scalability / tooling /
> testing tests recently at my office with regards to web frameworks.
> SpringMVC beat everything but Struts 1.x in performance.
> And SpringMVC makes testing really easy to boot.
> That's my motivation behind it.

Yeah... but what are they testing for?  The Archiva webapp doesn't
need to hold up to thousands of hits a second. :)

Struts 2 does have some known performance issues.  On the dev list
there's a renewed effort to figure out how to get away from OGNL (the
prime suspect) and move to a different expression language.

> But yes, it would have a big impact.
> So, lets just consider something lower impact, moving from xwork/webwork
> to Struts 2.  I think we have some friends in the struts 2 community to
> help us out if we hit a roadblock or two.  Beside, we should be
> supporting out Apache brethren too.

It's less about using another Apache project than about what the
volunteer labor force here wants to work with.

Speaking for myself I can't find any motivation to work on the Archiva
webapp that uses an old version of WebWork.  I'm not that interested
in Spring MVC.  I'm sure it's  fine framework, it's just not the
community I want to be involved in.  I would welcome the excuse to get
more involved at Struts again while working on a Struts 2.1 app
though.

--
Wendy