archiva-dev mailing list archives

From "nicolas de loof" <nico...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Plan to migrate towards Spring?
Date Tue, 19 Feb 2008 07:52:22 GMT
2008/2/18, Joakim Erdfelt <joakim@erdfelt.com>:

> I've felt that we need to migrate our choice of IoC (plexus) towards a
> better documented and better supported container (I'm leaning towards
> Spring)

+1000 : I was never very confortable with plexus and lack of documentation
on available components.

+1 for all moves from plexus-utils to apache commons-x equivalents

org.codehaus.plexus.commandline.DefaultExecutableResolver;
> org.codehaus.plexus.commandline.ExecutableResolver;
>
>   Used:
>     archiva-webapp-test
>   Plan:
>     Investigate Need.
>     Fork into archiva if truely needed.

commons-exec allready did the investigation, but not ready yet for release
AFAIK.

  Plan:
>     Migrate expression-evaluator to archiva codebase.

No idea what plexus.evaluator provides, but does this relates to commons-el
or commons-jexl ?

  Plan:
>     Migrate to JDK 1.5 + JPA + Annotations

+1 : JDO is dead. JPA has many stable implementations now. Which one do you
have in mind ?

  Plan:
>     Fork it.could.webdav into new archiva-davserver component.

If so I'd suggest some enhancements to support storing in SMB "windows
share" filesystem

org.codehaus.plexus.xwork.action.PlexusActionSupport;

>   Used:
>     archiva-webapp
>   Plan:
>     Switch to SwingMVC

What is the benefict here ? Natural update from existing code is to move to
Struts2. If we have to re-implement the web UI, why not use a higher
abstraction level framework, like apache Wicket ?

Thanks for this exciting proposal. Any chance to see maven-core migration to
Spring also ? ;-)

Nico