archiva-dev mailing list archives

From James William Dumay <ja...@atlassian.com>
Subject Re: MRM-684 - Solving Archiva Blocking
Date Fri, 08 Feb 2008 03:21:22 GMT
Hey Brett,

On Thu, 2008-02-07 at 15:20 +1100, Brett Porter wrote:
> I don't have any objection to using commons-vfs, since I think it
> covers much of what Wagon does anyway - as long as it does have all
> the features needed.

Looks like we only use Http/Https, ssh and file Wagon's in archiva -
commons-vfs so far looks like it hits the spot.

> That said - I don't really see any reason this is difficult in Wagon -
> and do believe Wagon should be usable outside Maven. I think streaming
> is a perfectly sensible thing to add...

I have a copy of Wagon checked out at the moment that works purely with
streams but I ran into a few of issues:
* Wagon's transfer even model relies on being able to pass the File
object that is being transfered to the listener - if its a streaming the
transfer events don't make any sense seeing that the consumer of Wagon
would be doing all the reading/writing
* There are about three different ssh/scp Wagon implementations that can
only deal with files. For example, there is a Wagon provider that will
use the systems scp executable to upload/download files

I really don't see the value in having to ditch Wagon implementations.

> Regardless, I certainly don't want to see *another* transport layer,
> or lose something like remote file:// repositories :)

I understand your concern - I don't want to add yet another framework to
Archiva. All we need is a simple module to allow us to get files from
remote locations (http and ssh) and from the local file system.

> Does that make sense?

Perfectly :)

James