archiva-dev mailing list archives

From Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [OT] Re: An experiment with Spring... What about OSGi ?
Date Mon, 25 Feb 2008 22:25:24 GMT

On 26/02/2008, at 9:11 AM, Rahul Thakur wrote:

> OK, this is just my personal opinion:
>
> I think choice of Spring OSGi is influenced by a few things:
> 1) Archiva is looking to garner more contributions from the
> community. Moving to Spring would, IMO, definately lessen the
> learning curve. There is a comprehensive documentation and large
> user base who work with Spring. Regards choice of Spring DM for
> OSGi, you might want to have a look here:
> http://static.springframework.org/osgi/docs/1.0/reference/html/why-spring-dm.html

Rahul is right.

We don't really have any requirement for the features of OSGi at this
time. Perhaps it would be useful as we add plugin support in a future
version though, and hopefully the Spring integration will be
sufficient at that point.

That said - Ludovic - if you see some way it might be of benefit and
are looking to contribute, by all means let us know :)

> 3) May be others can chip with their thoughts on Modello. But I
> think Modello could be dropped by using JPA annotations for the data
> model.

Yeah, that's not really related :)

Cheers,
Brett