archiva-dev mailing list archives

From Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>
Subject more thoughts on proxy logging
Date Sun, 11 Nov 2007 14:52:08 GMT
Hi,

I've been trying to figure out how best to address proper diagnostic
info in proxy logging after finding myself confused when it failed
recently. I think this can hold until 1.1, but I started a JIRA for
tracking (MRM-588) and hoped we could discuss it here.

Here is the summary:

I would like to open discussion for what exactly needs to be logged,
and at what level, for proxy issues to be effectively diagnosed. With
the current configuration, I was unable to pinpoint some problems
easily.

Some thoughts:

     * don't talk about policies, but state what is happening
     * always include the artifact and repository requested
     * log more if it results in a NotFoundException
     * condense information onto fewer lines where possible (if there
are concurrent requests, without an NDC these will start getting
mixed up in the logs)

Here are my thoughts:

DEBUG Artifact [x/y/z.jar] will not be requested from remote
repository [foo] as it didn't match whitelist items
DEBUG Artifact [x/y/z.jar] will not be requested from remote
repository [foo] as it matched blacklist item x/**
INFO Artifact [x/y/z.jar] requested from managed repository
[internal], checking remote repositories [central,java.net],
excluding remote repositories [foo]

Then:
INFO Artifact [x/y/z.jar] retrieved from remote repository [central],
skipping others
or
INFO Artifact [x/y/z.jar] not retrieved as it failed post-download
policy [bar-policy] (include reason)

And so on...

Thoughts?

An open question is what level to log this at: I feel that it should
be at INFO, but that might be too noisy by default. Perhaps the right
thing to do here is to add a connector configuration property that
says whether to log all requests (and if not, only log at debug level).

Cheers,
Brett

--
Brett Porter - brett@apache.org