archiva-dev mailing list archives

From Joakim Erdfelt <joa...@erdfelt.com>
Subject Re: MRM-549 & MRM-547 : Proxy Connector Policy settings.
Date Thu, 01 Nov 2007 00:23:49 GMT
Brett Porter wrote:
> On 01/11/2007, at 10:01 AM, Joakim Erdfelt wrote:
>
>> IGNORED is a universal setting that means ... "This policy is ignored."
>> It can be applied to any policy.
>>
>> Changing IGNORED to ALWAYS is makes no sense for the other policies.
>
> I wasn't suggesting this for anything but release and snapshots (it
> was an eg, not an ie). For cache: it's a yes/no answer, and for
> checksum ignore is valid.
>
>> What about using SKIP in place of IGNORED?
>> What about using REJECT in place of DISABLED?
>
> I'm still confused what that really means.
>
> In the first set, to me, SKIP means "don't ever check for updates",
> since the context is when to check for updates, right? But I think
> you're saying it means "skip the check about whether to check for
> updates and check for updates anyway".
>
> If the question to be asked is "how often should Archiva check for
> updates"? SKIP, DISABLED, IGNORED, REJECT are not valid answers in the
> context of what happens. ALWAYS and NEVER would be.
>
> Or am I asking the wrong question? If so, what is a question you can
> ask and have each option as an answer for that matches the current
> behaviour?
>
> Likewise:
>
> * Should I cache failures? YES or NO. Or it could be "What should I do
> when I encounter a failure?" CACHE or DON'T CACHE. But
> IGNORED/SKIP/DISABLED/REJECT don't make sense in this context (at
> least with the given behaviour)
>
> * What should I do when a checksum is invalid? IGNORE, FIX or FAIL.
>
> Make sense?
No.

Making no common ground between the options is also confusing.
There needs to be a common "DO NOT USE" or "IGNORED" option.
But I can release that opinion in favor of a clear and defined set of
values.
So far, all I'm getting is handwaving, big picture stuff, not a defined,
concrete, list to work off of.
As I intepret your last comments, I see the list now as the following ...

Releases
  (old)  IGNORED, ONCE, HOURLY, DAILY, DISABLED
  (proposed) SKIP, ONCE, HOURLY, DAILY, REJECT
Snapshots
  (old)  IGNORED, ONCE, HOURLY, DAILY, DISABLED
  (new) SKIP, ONCE, HOURLY, DAILY, REJECT
Cache-Failures
  (old)  IGNORED, CACHED
  (new) NO, YES