archiva-dev mailing list archives

From "Wendy Smoak" <wsm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Monster Commit Breakdown - svn commit: r583412 [1/8]
Date Thu, 11 Oct 2007 13:46:06 GMT
Brett is a difficult act to follow on this one, and I agree with
everything he said, so I don't have too much to add.

On 10/10/07, Joakim Erdfelt <joakim@erdfelt.com> wrote:

{snip justification}

>   (1) I submit that this is not an excessive commit, as seen from the
>       facts above.

This misses an important point.  The statistics don't matter.  The
community does.  Apache projects are communities, not codebases.  I
think of "Archiva" as a group of people collaborating on a solution to
a common problem, rather than as a webapp.  That changes what I see as
the 'right' decision in a given context.

I'm sure everyone has heard the expression "community is more
important than code".  Doing something to get closer to a release, at
the expense of the other contributors understanding and coming to a
consensus on the necessary changes, is not progress.

No, the commit wasn't a surprise, because it was preceded by a
proposal that seemed to me more like an announcement of intent.  That
this particular one spanned eight email messages is not the point.
I'd be just as concerned about a single message in similar
circumstances.

>   Archiva is a web application, and as such, will have a different way
>   of handling changes to the codebase, it is not subject to the the same
>   stringent commit and change controls in place for maven, or java libs,
>   or components that are either released, shared, or in common use across
>   many users or other applications.

Small, reversible changes associated with a JIRA issue are the way to
go.  There is no reason web application development needs to involve
complex commits with multiple changes, and I don't buy the argument
that webapps should be exempt from disciplined development practices.

All in all, though, I'm looking forward to a 1.0, whether it comes
before or after ApacheCon US. :)

--
Wendy