archiva-dev mailing list archives

From Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [MRM-185] revise logging granularity.
Date Wed, 24 Oct 2007 15:26:38 GMT

On 23/10/2007, at 1:12 PM, Joakim Erdfelt wrote:

> I'd like to get a consensus from everyone on what the Release level
> logging defaults / guidelines should be.
>
> Things like (just to get this started)...
>
> log4j.xml settings:
>  Archiva root at Info.
>  JPOX at Warn.
>  Database at Warn.
>  Configuration at Warn.

default level at WARN, Archiva at INFO (are database and
configuration Archiva code? if so - they should just be INFO too).

> And noisy or not noisy enough specific settings?

They should be fine, if the following is true for archiva log
statements:
- INFO level statements are for users to troubleshoot with
- DEBUG level statements are for developers to troubleshoot with

>  Proxy requests should be detail WHY a download wasn't attempted
> (policy / whitelist / blacklist).
>  Proxy success should be logged.

sounds good. It needs to be a lot less noisy than it is now (and the
policy stuff is confusing to a user)

> Once we have a set that we like, then we can implement it and close
> MRM-185.

Thanks!

--
Brett Porter - brett@apache.org