archiva-dev mailing list archives

From Joakim Erdfelt <joa...@erdfelt.com>
Subject Re: svn commit: r582987 [1/3] - in /maven/archiva/trunk: archiva-base/archiva-consumers/archiva-consumer-api/ archiva-base/archiva-consumers/archiva-consumer-api/src/main/java/org/apache/maven/archiva/consumers/ archiva-base/archiva-consumers/archiva-core-...
Date Tue, 09 Oct 2007 15:57:25 GMT
Good questions.
I think I'm genetically predisposed to short commit messages.

a) Replacing ArchivaRepository with appropriate configuration object (be
it managed or remote)
b) Due to filed bugs...
    * Ones surrounding updating of the configuration and not seeing the
change active.
       The duality of repositories presented bad usages.
       Updates in the configuration wasn't propogated to those
components that used the ArchivaRepository.
       Bad local references to ArchivaRepository objects that were no
longer valid. etc...
    * Ones surrounding the metadata updates.
       There is 3 places in the code that updates metadata now.
       Need to merge these pieces of code together.
    * Bad usage of Layouts in the consumers, ignoring layout rules.
       This is the old C/C++ pattern.  Give someone a simple "out" and
they take it, not realizing the implications.
       Well, the layout utils were a juicy "out" that caused bad code,
bad assumptions, and bad handling.
c) Taking the layout utils and wrapping them away (so that they can't be
abused) inside of a RepositoryContent object makes the use of a
repository more reliable.  No more shortcuts available to the consumers.

- Joakim

--
- Joakim Erdfelt
  joakim@erdfelt.com