archiva-dev mailing list archives

From Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Proposal] Repository Layout Detection/Interaction Changes.
Date Tue, 09 Oct 2007 15:02:18 GMT

On 09/10/2007, at 4:30 PM, Joakim Erdfelt wrote:

> I think you are missing the core point of the proposal.
>
> (Is nicolas the only one that understands the difficulty?)

No, I get it. I've been there before, several times, remember :)

> Using *just* the path information, how do you get from a maven 1
> request to an artifact reference?
> (groupId, artifactId, version, type)
>
> ch.ethz.ganymed/jars/ganymed-ssh2-build210.jar
> maven/jars/maven-test-plugin-1.8.2.jar
> org.apache.geronimo.specs/jars/geronimo-ejb_2.1_spec-1.0.1.jar
>
> These are some examples of the problems that arise.
> Using that magic regex that you mentioned (which we use in archiva
> too!) we get a 1 to many split from path to reference.
>
> (using "|" syntax for examples of references below groupId|
> artifactId|version|type)
>
> ch.ethz.ganymed/jars/ganymed-ssh2-build210.jar
>   becomes one of the following
> ch.ethz.ganymed|ganymed|ssh2-build210|jar
> ch.ethz.ganymed|ganymed-ssh2|build210|jar

exactly - that's why I suggested some special cases needed to be
listed (dom4j is a common one too).

> maven/jars/maven-test-plugin-1.8.2.jar
>   becomes one of the following
> maven|maven|test-plugin-1.8.2|jar
> maven|maven-test-plugin|1.8.2|jar

seems like a bug, that should be deterministic through the filename
extension

> org.apache.geronimo.specs/jars/geronimo-ejb_2.1_spec-1.0.1.jar
>   becomes one of the following
> org.apache.geronimo.specs|geronimo|ejb_2.1_spec-1.0.1|jar
> org.apache.geronimo.specs|geronimo-ejb|2.1_spec-1.0.1|jar
> org.apache.geronimo.specs|geronimo-ejb_2.1|spec-1.0.1|jar
> org.apache.geronimo.specs|geronimo-ejb_2.1_spec|1.0.1|jar

If the current regex picks this as version - 1.0.1, then that is
correct and we can keep using it. If not, maybe we need to change it.

> The process to get from maven 1 legacy request to a reference is
> not possible 100% of the time.

Yes, that's what I said too.

> Any for the record, there is no code in maven 1 or maven 2 that
> does this (take a path and get an artifact reference), I've looked
> dozens of times, it just doesn't exist.

As the author of said code, I can categorically confirm it doesn't
exist :) That's why I wrote it in the mrm converter (which is now in
the bidirectional repository layout).

> The initial proposal was to eliminate this 1 to many problem by
> reading the pom file for the information regarding the groupId /
> artifactId / version, but that isn't a valid solution when working
> with content that needs to be proxied.

Right, and it's not practical in general - so what is the current
status? The proposal is too complicated a solution - I would rather
we get it to work for 90% of the artifacts, special case the rest,
and be done with it. If we really, really find we need to have it
100% deterministic with special cases, then I'd prefer we go back to
adding alternate views on the repository.

But in either case, I think this can be in post-1.0. It's getting way
too late for changes of the magnitude you are proposing.

- Brett

--
Brett Porter - brett@apache.org