archiva-dev mailing list archives

From Joakim Erdfelt <joa...@erdfelt.com>
Subject Progress on MRM-463 - Metadata support
Date Thu, 30 Aug 2007 16:56:36 GMT
In the past 2 weeks I've made tremendous progress on the Metadata issues
within Archiva.

So far in trunk, the following changes have been made.

archiva-repository-layer:
  [NEW] MetadataTools component that is responsible for the merging and
updating of inplace maven-metadata.xml files.

archiva-proxy:
  [Update] DefaultProxyConnector now will ...
   1) download requested maven-metadata.xml from *all* remote repositories.
      NOTE: must pass the pre-download policies first.
   2) Save the downloaded maven-metadata.xml next to the
maven-metadata.xml that exists in the managed repository using a
filename format of maven-metadata-${proxyId}.xml (similar to how the
maven 2 local repository works now).
   3) After all of the downloads from all proxied repositories complete,
a MetadataTools.updateMetadata() call is issued to perform an update on
that maven-metadata.xml file.
   4) Upon a completion of the MetadataTools.updateMetadata() with no
error, the maven-metadata.xml file in the managed repository is returned
to the requesting client.

What's left.

archiva-core-consumers:
  [NEW] MetadataUpdaterConsumer - which runs as part of the repository
scanning process and updates all of the in-place maven-metadata.xml files.

Alsø Alsø Wik: I'm only mildly worried about Concurrency issues with
this solution, as most calls for the maven-metadata.xml will be caught
by the pre-download policies, and updates to those files will occur only
on occasion.

Feel free to rip my logic to shreds and tell me what an idiot I am.
(it's really the only way I'll learn) :-)

- Joakim