archiva-dev mailing list archives

From Joakim Erdfelt <joa...@erdfelt.com>
Subject Re: reporting & jasper reports
Date Thu, 02 Aug 2007 17:23:20 GMT
Brett Porter wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> This is mainly for Deng and Teody as I've seen them working through
> the issue for reporting... I took a look at the latest patch and it's
> looking pretty good.
>
> I did go to check about the jasper reports license, though, and it
> appears from the POM that it is LGPL.
>
> Though it's not official (yet), we shouldn't be distributing it
> according to the ASF policy:
> http://people.apache.org/~cliffs/3party.html#transition
>
> So, I think we have 3 options if we continue to do this:
> - put it in a separate module (and profile) that isn't distributed
> with continuum, but can be built manually and installed
> - require the user to drop jasperreports into WEB-INF/lib (and
> gracefully fail if they don't)
> - come up with a whiz-bang addon installer that can get them to
> confirm the license and grab the jasper stuff from the repository (a
> bit much for now :)
>
> I'm thinking 1) is the best way to go, and provide a bland, default
> implementation of the reporting pages that doesn't use jasper (just a
> spit out a table of everything).
>
> WDYT?

While I understand the need to be vigilant on licenses in use.
I don't understand why LGPL is excluded.

And that URL you pointed to seems to makes a distinction only on using
LGPLed code.

And with the dozen or so licenses in use by ant and maven, how and why
is this suddenly important to archiva, but not the other projects?

In maven and ant we have jgpl'd and oddball licenses such as ...
checkstyle, clover, netrexx, jruby, judo, jython, javamail, activation,
and jai.

--
- Joakim Erdfelt
  joakim@erdfelt.com