archiva-dev mailing list archives

From Joakim Erdfelt <joa...@erdfelt.com>
Subject Re: Archiva releases (Take 2)
Date Thu, 02 Aug 2007 11:49:45 GMT
Just a thought.

Would putting in a check on the path depth for a local repository when
running under windows be useful?

We specify some threshold of character length or sub directory count
that causes problems, and warn the user to specify something simpler.

So if a user decides to use
"file://D:/data/archiva/repositories/corporate", we error (or warning)
out and say "The specified root for your local repository is too large
for windows to handle, try using something smaller and less deep such as
file://D:/repos/corporate/" ?

Just did a scan of ibiblio's repository to determine the largest path there.
Here what I found ...

167 -
org/codehaus/plexus/security/plexus-security-authorization-rbac-store-memory/1.0-alpha-10/plexus-security-authorization-rbac-store-memory-1.0-alpha-10-sources.jar.sha1
169 -
org/codehaus/plexus/security/plexus-security-authentication-provider-keystore/1.0-alpha-11/plexus-security-authentication-provider-keystore-1.0-alpha-11-sources.jar.sha1
178 -
org/codehaus/plexus/security/plexus-security-authentication-provider-user-manager/1.0-alpha-11/plexus-security-authentication-provider-user-manager-1.0-alpha-11-sources.jar.sha1

If we take those numbers + 20% (to allow for growth), and subtract the
windows limit of 255 characters we are left with the magic # of max
characters for a windows repository root.

(178 + 20%) = 213.6
256 - 214 = 42

How about we set a 42 (creepy number) characters as the limit for the
root of a windows repository?

- Joakim

--
- Joakim Erdfelt