archiva-dev mailing list archives

From Joakim Erdfelt <joa...@erdfelt.com>
Subject Re: What is Archiva.NEXT ?
Date Tue, 31 Jul 2007 12:09:53 GMT
Brett Porter wrote:

> On 31/07/2007, at 12:43 PM, Joakim Erdfelt wrote:
>
>> I'm tired.
>> I'm tired of the confusion.
>> I'm tired of the lack of decision.
>
> k, I have a proposal at the end, just working through the details.
That was my attempt at a disclaimer.  ;-)
>> * Apache Maven 2
>> * Apache Maven 1.1
>> * Apache Maven 1.0
>> * Apache Ivy
> The 4 clients.
>
> understood (though I still don't see the distinction between maven 1
> versions). I'm also wondering if there is something we have to do now
> to support Ivy or if it "just works". Given that Ivy sully supports m2
> repos now, I think this is a nice to have.

Maven 2, Maven 1.1, and Ivy work right now.   They all support the maven
2 default layout fine.
With minor differences in patterns when it comes to the metadata.xml and
checksum files.

>> The 4 types of data that is fetched from the repository.
>> * Artifacts
>> * Versioned Metadata.xml
>> * Project (unversioned) Metadata.xml
>> * Checksum files
> Not all types have these things, though - metadata is only applicable
> to Maven 2, and Ivy (and other repositories) likely have other files.

True, but keep in mind that all archiva has to work with is a repo_id
and a requested_resource_path.
Going from those limited pieces of information to an actual resource is
the tricky part.
Does the client want an artifact? or a metadata.xml? or a checksum file?

>> Since we hit collisions on the auto-discovery technique for maven 1
>> to maven 2 requests (ie: legacy vs default), the need to have a
>> different 'view' to the repository is crucial.  (one such collision
>> in naming is when a metadata.xml file is requested and the path is
>> detected as a maven 1 resource.  there are more, but addressing each
>> 'special case' will just result in a piece of code horribly
>> convoluted and ultimately doomed to maintenance hell)
> I thought it was maintainable for the set of clients listed so far,
> but if we look to support others than I can see how that might be the
> case, so fair enough.
>

>> Now instead of talking about layouts (legacy vs default) and paths as
>> the means to an end, the idea of access or client identifiers in the
>> URL was discussed.  /get/${accessor_id}/${repo_id}/${resource}
>>
>> I'm about to rip it apart and implement it as proposed, as I want to
>> see it work, and no one has yet to propose a different viable
>> solution to the issue.
>
> I still don't like the format.
>
> My proposal is this:
> 1) Please use /repository and /webdav instead of /get and /put.
> 2) please let a repository specify a default accessor_id so that the
> repository need not be so long
> 3) please saw repo_id and accessor_id
>
> I think that is the best alternative here. What do others think  - am
> I on another planet? :)

I think I follow you.

How about this ...

1) the current /repository servlet gets split into 2 servlets.
    /repository/ becomes the dynamic GET servlet.
    /manage/ becomes the original webdav servlet.

2) each repository can have an default_accessor_id assigned to it.
     The pattern for use as default accessor is
"/repository/<repo_id>/[a-zA-Z0-9].*"

3) establish a way to view the repository differently.
     The pattern for this is "/repository/<repo_id>/\[[a-zA-Z0-9-]*\]/.*"
     Example:

/repository/corporate/[maven2]/org/apache/ant/1.7.0/ant-1.7.0.jar
            /repository/corporate/[maven1]/org.apache.ant/jars/ant-1.7.0.jar

>> This support is important in archiva, and we are getting close to a
>> 1.0 release.
> That's why I'm being such a nuisance :)

Aaah?
Aaah!