archiva-dev mailing list archives

From Joakim Erdfelt <joa...@erdfelt.com>
Subject Re: What is Archiva.NEXT ?
Date Tue, 31 Jul 2007 02:43:24 GMT
I'm tired.
I'm tired of the confusion.
I'm tired of the lack of decision.

The ability to serve the repository information to multiple clients is
exactly the reason for splitting this logic out.

It's nearly impossible to have dynamic paths to resources and be a
managed repository at the same time.
That is the first step.  Separate the dynamic 'get' logic out from the
webdav put/set layer.

The next step is to allow the 4 identified clients to work on GET of
resources contained within the repository.

The 4 clients.
* Apache Maven 2
* Apache Maven 1.1
* Apache Maven 1.0
* Apache Ivy

The 4 types of data that is fetched from the repository.
* Artifacts
* Versioned Metadata.xml
* Project (unversioned) Metadata.xml
* Checksum files

Since we hit collisions on the auto-discovery technique for maven 1 to
maven 2 requests (ie: legacy vs default), the need to have a different
'view' to the repository is crucial.  (one such collision in naming is
when a metadata.xml file is requested and the path is detected as a
maven 1 resource.  there are more, but addressing each 'special case'
will just result in a piece of code horribly convoluted and ultimately
doomed to maintenance hell)

Now instead of talking about layouts (legacy vs default) and paths as
the means to an end, the idea of access or client identifiers in the URL
was discussed.  /get/${accessor_id}/${repo_id}/${resource}

I'm about to rip it apart and implement it as proposed, as I want to see
it work, and no one has yet to propose a different viable solution to
the issue.

This support is important in archiva, and we are getting close to a 1.0
release.

- Joakim

--
- Joakim Erdfelt