archiva-dev mailing list archives

From "Wendy Smoak" <wsm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Let's release Archiva
Date Tue, 10 Apr 2007 13:04:12 GMT
On 4/10/07, Joakim Erdfelt <joakim@erdfelt.com> wrote:

> -1
>
> The branch changes enough things that it would be a collosal pain in the
> ass to migrate from whatever is on trunk to the code in branch.
>
> configuration format is changed, lucene index has changed, database has
> changed.
> each of which isn't even close to the structure that exists on trunk.
>
> please.
> be patient.
> we're aiming for a branch to trunk merge within 2 weeks.
> and a release shortly after that.

People are already using it.  They will have to convert (or start
over).  The current situation is not fair to the users, and not fair
to the developers who under ASF guildelines [1] should not be
discussing unreleased software with non-developers.  (By that logic we
shouldn't even have a user list yet.)

A 1.0-alpha-1 now doesn't have to be widely distributed and promoted.
It will give us a comparison point for the new code, and something to
document changes against.

[1] http://www.apache.org/dev/release.html#what

--
Wendy