archiva-dev mailing list archives

From Joakim Erdfelt <joa...@erdfelt.com>
Subject Re: Let's release Archiva
Date Tue, 10 Apr 2007 13:42:20 GMT
OK.

But we need to make it painfully clear that anything can change between
releases, with no migration path between releases.

Also, the work that is identified by MRM-153 + 211 + 212 are moot in the
branch, as other, more fundamental solutions has been worked out for
dealing with remote repositories, checksum policy, and maven 1 clients.

My Opinions:
Releasing Trunk is a mistake.
Things trunk doesn't do (or does poorly)...
* Supporting maven 1 clients.
* Supporting large repositories.
* Supporting non-http remote repositories.
* Supporting network proxy with remote repositories.
* Returning accurate results on search.
* Supporting all artifact types.
* Support artifact relocation.
* Support artifact classifiers.
* Supporting multiple remote repositories for proxying.
* Support remote repository snapshot policy.
* Supporting the indexing of legacy repositories.
* Artifacts with missing parents.
* Artifacts with missing dependencies.
* Supporting Tomcat.

Any release of trunk should be considered pre-1.0 (not even alpha-1) as
it is so broken.
Any release of trunk should be made painfully clear to ONLY support ...

* Maven 2 default repositories.
* Proxying to 1 remote repository with http only.
* No network proxy support.
* Under 3,000 artifacts supported.
* Full and complete heirarchy of artifacts (parents and dependencies)
must be present in repositories to work.

- Joakim