archiva-dev mailing list archives

From Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>
Subject Re: State of the Archiva (April 2007)
Date Wed, 11 Apr 2007 13:07:43 GMT
Mostly sounds good.

Firstly, all this stuff needs to become some sort of code
documentation. I'm regularly hearing feedback that it's hard to find
a way in to this stuff.

Comments inline...

On 11/04/2007, at 6:25 AM, Joakim Erdfelt wrote:

>   The role of archiva.xml configuration file has been changed from
> being
>   the canonical source for 'configured' repositories, to being a
> bootstrap
>   for configured repositories stored and maintained in the
> database, and
>   the list of active consumers to use in the various stages of content
>   consumption. (more on that later)

I'd like to hear more on that, and the reason why. It sounds very
confusing.

>   The use of maven-artifact and maven-project has been removed as the
>   assumptions present in each (everything is for the purposes of a
> build)
>   are inappropriate for archiva and jpox.  The new inbuilt
> replacements
>   are more resilient to missing referenced data.

That seems more of a flaw in those libraries than anything. maven-
artifact should not be build specific.

Maybe we need to look at using the reasons as impetus for change in
maven 2.1? Duplicating that code seems like a long term maintenance
risk.

Was it also removed from the proxying? I haven't had a chance to look
yet, but that sounds like a lot of duplicated functionality.

>   The benefit of these stages is that it allows the content to be
> found on
>   the filesystem and be made available to the users via the browse
> interface
>   relatively quickly. (Takes about 6 minutes to scan all of ibiblio
> this
> way)

 From scratch? Presumably when it's unchanged it's much faster?

>     c) Auto-Remove

what are these?

Thanks for putting this together Joakim. Looking forward to kicking
the tires. Also, I'll have a closer look at the code - I'll hold off
on that until its close to being ready for trunk though.

Cheers,
Brett