archiva-dev mailing list archives

From Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>
Subject Re: FYI: de-plexus-utils'ing
Date Tue, 05 Dec 2006 17:40:11 GMT

On 5 Dec 06, at 12:23 PM 5 Dec 06, Henri Yandell wrote:

> On 12/3/06, Jason van Zyl <jason@maven.org> wrote:
>> On 3 Dec 06, at 11:29 PM 3 Dec 06, Carlos Sanchez wrote:
>>
>> > I think something like http://www.slf4j.org/ can allow using
>> libraries
>> > that use commons-logging without getting its problems
>> >

>> I didn't see it in there anyway, but the problem is not only that
>> commons-logging is a piece of crap
>
> My understanding is that the classloader issues have been worked out
> in the 1.1 release.

Classloader issues aside it's still a piece of crap. Static logging
is bad and is an anti-pattern for component-based programming. Causes
nothing but grief. I know you can use commons-logging as a monitor
but no one does that. Paul Hammant's blog on why static logging is
crap is a good read.

>> , but that people also abuse it and
>> put logging in libraries when they should be throwing exceptions and
>> be tested properly so you know what it does and so you don't have to
>> stick logging in a library which is just plain dumb.
>
> DBCP and FileUpload are two where I can see that I would want to log,
> but for most libraries I don't see the need. IO and Lang (two I've
> introduced so far) don't use logging.

You want to test, have a monitor or eventing system so that you can
get anything important to go to a console, some form or GUI, or a log
file if you like. Going straight to logging is the extremely limited
and makes integration a pain in the ass.