archiva-dev mailing list archives

From Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>
Subject Re: Removal of the Application Component
Date Sat, 23 Dec 2006 21:53:18 GMT

On 23 Dec 06, at 4:39 PM 23 Dec 06, Brett Porter wrote:

> Maybe I put the comment there and didn't realise - I thought it was
> yours. At the top it said to replace it with a generic converter
> component, which is what the other one seemed to be. It wasn't
> adding anything.
>
> I don't necessarily agree with the one entry point to rule them
> all. The first converter was at the right level of abstraction but
> certainly required a lot of scaffolding of repositories to use, so
> the converter component you added was a good way to do that. But I
> don't understand why it then needs to be delegated via yet another
> component that won't actually add anything.

I meant the Archiva component itself, it only had the converter but
should have everything else as well. The application entry point
which should be the single place people interact with the system. We
really can hide everything else. We can have oodles of components but
they should be unified for reuse from one place.

> I'm not that committed to it, if it was meant to be there I'm happy
> for it to come back.

Cool, I'll put it back.