archiva-dev mailing list archives

From Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>
Subject [result] Archiva Logo
Date Fri, 08 Dec 2006 03:05:01 GMT
Ok, this was tough to reach consensus on. Obviously, I waited a lot
more than 72 hours to try and reach it :)

Here is how it panned out:

TL - CS, JL (2 - 1 PMC, 1 User)
UR - NB, JM, BP, EP, EV, JC, TL, DL, JvZ, VS, RT (11 - 8 PMC, 2 Com,
1 User)
LL - RP, WB, MK, HY, NdL, MC, AH, AW, WS, MP, SN, KW (12 - 5 PMC, 5
Comm, 2 User)
LR - LT, VM (2 - both PMC)

The first eliminated was TL, so it became:

UR - NB, JM, BP, EP, EV, JC, TL, DL, JvZ, VS, RT (11)
LL - RP, WB, MK, HY, NdL, MC, AH, AW, WS, MP, SN, KW, JL (13)
LR - LT, VM, CS (3)

Then LR was dropped. CS had no 3rd preference, so lost his vote :(

UR - NB, JM, BP, EP, EV, JC, TL, DL, JvZ, VS, RT (11)
LL - RP, WB, MK, HY, NdL, MC, AH, AW, WS, MP, SN, KW, JL, LT, VM (15)

However, looking at this from a committer only basis, we get:

UR - JM, BP, EP, EV, JC, TL, DL, JvZ, VS, RT (10)
LL - MK, HY, MC, AH, AW, WS, MP, SN, KW, LT, VM (11)

Obviously, much closer. From a PMC point of view:

UR - JM, BP, EV, JC, TL, DL, JvZ, VS (8)
LL - AH, MP, SN, KW, LT, VM (6)

I was never really comfortable going with an option that was contrary
to how the PMC voted. Joakim (who had abstained) suggested on IRC we
go with UR, which would bring the committers votes level, and 60% of
the PMC votes for UR.

I have decided to call this in favour of UR. http://people.apache.org/
~brett/archiva-logos/ur.html

This is given the PMC majority (which is much clearer when you look
only at first preferences), the fact we will never get a clear
consensus on the two, and because the arguments in favour of it were
much stronger (better correlation to the purpose of the app, while
the other is too similar to Continuum and other corporate logos),

Hopefully, this isn't just bias because of my vote (I was originally
going to go LL, but having seen the arguments made in favour of of UR
it definitely grew on me).

If there is any strong objection to this, please say so. I've learned
a lesson to be clearer about the rules up front next time :)

Cheers,
Brett