archiva-dev mailing list archives

From Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>
Subject Re: svn commit: r471098 - in /maven/archiva/trunk/archiva-cli: ./ src/main/assembly/ src/main/java/org/apache/maven/archiva/cli/ src/main/resources/ src/main/resources/META-INF/
Date Mon, 06 Nov 2006 01:56:52 GMT

On 6 Nov 06, at 5:45 AM 6 Nov 06, Brett Porter wrote:

>>> Yes, there is. It uses the built in descriptor, that's all.
>>>

>> Great, who decided having multiple ways of doing this was a good
>> idea? I always, by habit, look in the src/main/assembly. That is a
>> bad idea allowing both ways as now we have no consistent way of
>> looking for, or creating assemblies while we gain not having to
>> write two lines of configuration and not having to make a file.
>
> I did, and because I thought that we could produce standard
> assemblies for 90% of the use cases and avoid people copying and
> pasting and twiddling that one extra thing.
>
> The standard place you should look should be the POM.

For the configuration yes. But there should be one way to configure
it. I think you're wrong about what people are going to make with the
assembly plugin and it will generally be lengthy. Creating a file and
pointing at it is hardly onerous and then people know "yes, that's
the place I look for assemblies" which far out weighs which I think
seems like a slight gain in convenience. We end up doing this with
all our plugins we've just double the goop people have to store in
their head about where things are. People at this point don't need to
look in the POM to know where application sources are and this is
very powerful.

Jason.