archiva-dev mailing list archives

From Andrew Williams <a...@handyande.co.uk>
Subject Re: svn commit: r471098 - in /maven/archiva/trunk/archiva-cli: ./ src/main/assembly/ src/main/java/org/apache/maven/archiva/cli/ src/main/resources/ src/main/resources/META-INF/
Date Wed, 08 Nov 2006 20:45:02 GMT
On Mon, 2006-11-06 at 15:03 +1100, Brett Porter wrote:
> On 06/11/2006, at 12:54 PM, Jason van Zyl wrote:
>

> > For the configuration yes. But there should be one way to configure
> > it. I think you're wrong about what people are going to make with
> > the assembly plugin and it will generally be lengthy. Creating a
> > file and pointing at it is hardly onerous and then people know
> > "yes, that's the place I look for assemblies" which far out weighs
> > which I think seems like a slight gain in convenience. We end up
> > doing this with all our plugins we've just double the goop people
> > have to store in their head about where things are. People at this
> > point don't need to look in the POM to know where application
> > sources are and this is very powerful.
>
> I understand what you are getting at, but I can't see how we can tout
> convention-over-configuration, and then demand everyone producing a
> source assembly have to spell out that they want pom.xml, src/** and
> a few well known text files. Likewise, jar-with-dependencies is
> rarely going to be any different.
>
> I'm open to other suggestions (eg, requiring a descriptor, but
> allowing it to inherit from a built-in standard), but anything that
> starts with copy/paste smells wrong.
>
> Either way, unless you are actually proposing we deprecate the
> existing parameters and behaviour, there's nothing to discuss here -
> I've given the appropriate configuration for the current release such
> that you don't need ant.
>
> - Brett

I must admit that I agree with Brett here - a few standard assemblies
are a good idea, with custom ones having a standard location.
It does require checking the pom.xml, but I think that is something you
might do as a matter of course anyhow (especially as custom assemblies
need to configured there too of course)...

Andy