apr-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: Proposal: apr-tools project
Date Fri, 26 Jul 2019 15:07:30 GMT

> On Jul 25, 2019, at 7:22 AM, Graham Leggett <minfrin@sharp.fm> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> Disclaimer: I don’t have time to do this right now, but at some point soon I would
like to get something like this done.

> I propose the creation of, in addition to apr and apr-util, the apr-tools project.
>
> apr-tools would contain a series of command line tools that correspond with many of the
capabilities of the apr library. Such tools might include:

> - escape: A tool that can escape and unescape data based on the apr_escape.h API.
> - encode: A tool that can encode/decode based on the apr_encode API.
> - dbd: A tool that can perform database queries through the apr_dbd astraction, etc.
> - etc
>
> The expectation would be that these tools would provide common, cross platform (unix,
Mac, Windows, etc) command line tools that are designed to get stuff done in a common, sensible
way.

> First question is thoughts? Bonkers? Good idea?

I think a good idea.

> Second question is structure. Part of APR? Alongside APR?

I would think alongside... after all, you don't need to hack APR to be able to implement apr-tools.