apr-dev mailing list archives

From Gregg Smith <...@gknw.net>
Subject Re: expat removed from APR project (Re: [VOTE] Release Apache httpd 2.4.28 as GA)
Date Wed, 27 Sep 2017 18:58:37 GMT
I think I'd rather have apu 1.6.1 now without this (since we need it
now) and we can do this for 1.6.2 which will allow us to get any kinks
out (if any) while not under the gun. What do you think Steffen?

Also, if we're going in this direction (which I want to) is to just get
what's in trunk working in 1.6 with it's choice of expat or libxml2
which includes two additional files, one for using expat and one for
using libxml2, which I thought was the intent for 1.6 in the first place
IIRC, it just never happened.

On 9/27/2017 11:01 AM, William A Rowe Jr wrote:
> This is now committed.
>
> Would like to verify that this is working for our own win32 devs' build
> preferences of expat 2.2.4, and glean any other feedback or suggestions
> for improvement. I'm on to the cmake-side of the world for the moment,
> I expect that won't be too rough, already collected suggestions for
> compiling against expat..
>

> On Wed, Sep 27, 2017 at 12:10 PM, William A Rowe Jr <wrowe@rowe-clan.net> wrote:
>> After deeper consideration, this was fundamentally wrong.
>>
>> For those less familiar with the Win32 build, we failed to decouple
>> a "project" called "xml" which was, in fact, our idea of how expat
>> should be built.
>>
>> That's unacceptable, as this missing file demonstrated. It shows
>> a lack of diligence in running tests (rather impossible to mix and
>> match between tests built on expat and those with httpd), It opens
>> us up to criticism for whatever "foolish" build flags we use versus
>> the recommended flags by the expat maintainers.
>>
>> Already, apr-util has crypto libs, dbm providers, dbd providers, all
>> but one are external libraries maintained by external groups with
>> their own recommended build mechansims.
>>
>> I will solve for visual studio Makefile.win builds with this;
>>
>> # Provide the XML_PARSER argument after configuring LIB and INCLUDE with
>> # the expat path of the corresponding xml parser, e.g. libexpatMT to choose
>> # static, or libexpat (default) to choose the dynamic library for aprutil-1.dll
>> # (Static libaprutil-1.lib always presumes libexpatMT with XML_STATIC flag.)
>> #
>> #     XML_PARSER="libexpat"
>> #
>>
>> This will toggle the lib and the correct XML_STATIC setting. My theory
>> is as follows; libexpat.dll gets security updates. We shouldn't generally
>> be compiling it into a system like httpd. For a command line tool, e.g.
>> when libaprutil-1.lib (static) is used, libexpatMT is a fine choice, and
>> the user will have to compile that in as well. Wherever aprutil-1.dll is
>> being used, the libexpat.dll is the obvious right choice.
>>
>> Anyone who knows Nick's efforts knows where this is leading, some time
>> in the future XML_PARSER=libxml2 can become a possibility.
>>
>> Somehow we've all grown accustomed to trusting all the rest of these
>> third party projects and know how to set up LIB and INCLUDE search
>> paths, so this is simply not a hardship. Our custom build tooling for expat
>> must be jettisoned, we do so nowhere else. Unix can cope, so must Win32.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Bill
>>

>> On Tue, Sep 26, 2017 at 6:17 PM, Gregg Smith <gls@gknw.net> wrote:
>>> Feel free to do whatever you please with the cmake build. I just added the
>>> new loadlibrary.c file to it is all so technically it is ready to go and apu
>>> can be tagged.

GA.