apr-dev mailing list archives

From William A Rowe Jr <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: Life cycle questions
Date Tue, 01 Aug 2017 16:00:48 GMT
On Tue, Aug 1, 2017 at 8:24 AM, Ben Harper <ben.harper@rackspace.com> wrote:

> On 08/01/2017 02:14 AM, Nick Kew wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, 2017-07-31 at 09:23 -0500, Ben Harper wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks for the timely replies.  Would it be safe to say that there will
>>> be no breaking changes till a 2.x version?
>>

>> At the simple level of the API, yes.  It should continue to
>> serve as a drop-in replacement for earlier versions.
>>
>> Build options&dependencies changed from 1.5 to 1.6 and may
>> change again.  So you might update your build.
>>
> Thanks for that confirmation.  Hopefully one last question, would that be
> true for apr-util as well?

Almost. ABI is stable through all 1.x apr & apr-util builds, as noted in
the versioning doc you cited.

With the ultimate release of APR 2.0, all of the apr-util symbols will be
folded into the primary apr 2.0 library. While we will retain some apu*.h
files and apu_* namespace use for some level of source compatibility,
using apr 2.0 will require reconfig/recompilation, and quite possibly some
source modifications, particularly if APR/apr-util 0.9.x legacy names are
still not corrected to the 1.x equivalents.