apr-dev mailing list archives

From William A Rowe Jr <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: 1.6.0 release candidates
Date Sun, 07 May 2017 00:54:53 GMT
So my blocking concern is that APR has never shipped an unready, disabled
by default feature. I don't mind not ready for prime time but we
traditionally called such things alpha or beta releases. I am not worried
about a specific platform, but about the wide range of unreviewed
architectures.

The Solaris report seemed concerning. Many of my AIX observations were
incorrect libtool flavor detection for DSO and subordinate test program
invocation, but some weren't. (Can't test if mutex returns immediately.) I
will know Tues if this is entirety a regression or anticipated exception.

I'm afraid BEOS may already be abandoned. The comments about windows
specifics were also concerning, but I have to change gears Sunday back into
that world to start further review.

In short, everything excluding tiimedlock mutexed seems long overdue. This
new mutex feature extension seems hardly ready. I am -1 to have a default
disabled feature, and -0 on releasing this code in its present state.
Suspect it could use a couple months on the bench and a couple more active
reviewers on a breadth of platforms to move it on to a 1.7/2.0 release.

Just my thoughts, excepting your commit inverting a disable for an enable
flag. I think we should finish 1.6 immediately upon reverting this feature
on this branch, which means first forking to 1.7 to preserve it for another
minor release in the not too distant future.