apr-dev mailing list archives

From Jacob Champion <champio...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Request for additional installbuilddir exports
Date Thu, 27 Apr 2017 17:00:31 GMT
On 04/26/2017 11:58 AM, William A Rowe Jr wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 26, 2017 at 12:28 PM, Jacob Champion <champion.p@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Over at httpd I'm trying to engineer
>> a build that doesn't require checking out APR and friends, but only depends
>> on files that are part of the APR installation.
>
> I think it might be simpler to check these into httpd, preferably from trunk.
> If ./buildconf is given a --with-apr the files could be replaced, but
> it wouldn't
> bother ./buildconf if the flag was not given. These simply don't change often
> enough to force the extra hassles.

Simpler, definitely, and I took that approach already with a file or two
that doesn't really "belong" to APR. For things that are clearly owned
by the APR installation, I'm hoping to avoid copy-pasting if at all
possible.

>> httpd depends on apr_common.m4, find_apr.m4, and find_apu.m4. On
>> Debian-derived distros, those files are part of the libapr-dev packaging --
>> but as far as I can tell, they're not included in the official builds, so my
>> solution isn't portable. Any chance we could get those three (plus any other
>> build-time helpers you think downstream projects may need to use) added to
>> the official installbuilddir?
>
> Yes, as far as installbuilddir might be mapped to /usr/share/apr/build-1 or
> /usr/lib/apr-1/build or any other schema the distro wants, this seems like
> a sensible approach. Interrogate with `apr-1-configure --installbuilddir`.

Awesome. This is the approach Debian takes (the installed m4 files are
located in `apr-config --installbuilddir`), and it's what httpd-trunk's
buildconf logic looks for already, so that would work great.

--Jacob