apr-dev mailing list archives

From Dirk-Willem van Gulik <di...@webweaving.org>
Subject Re: SHA256 and friends.
Date Fri, 20 Jan 2017 15:19:07 GMT

> On 20 Jan 2017, at 16:02, Ben Laurie <ben@links.org> wrote:
>
> On 20 January 2017 at 14:52, Dirk-Willem van Gulik <dirkx@webweaving.org> wrote:
>>
>>> On 20 Jan 2017, at 15:46, Ben Laurie <ben@links.org> wrote:

use - and  wack the 60  or so distinct places/ where MD5 is currently used in subversion/httpd
and friends and upping this to at least sha256.

16 bytes of a SHA256 ? Correct ?

>>> Not sure what question you're asking?
>>
>> So MD5 seems by far the dominant digest method. MOST is actually just to get a nice
hash/randmomish thing.  Or just simple integrety.

>> Only in a few cases does it actually need to be an MD5 for interoperability (E.g.
the Content-MD5 header of htttp, the salted-MD5 against an existing htpassword file).

>> In most other cases it could silently be replaced by the last 16 bytes of a SHA256
(and in quite a few cases; buffer issues permitting; in a full SHA256).

>> So is, from a security perspective, the last 16 bytes of a SHA256 over a given datablock
equivalent to a MD5 over the same datablock. In terms of being able to determine the outcome;
i.e. produce clashing hashes/synthesise data with the same (partial) hash ?

>> Or are the last* 16 bytes of a SHA256 'harder' to control ?
>
> Last 16 of SHA-256 is stronger than MD5 because, unlike MD5, it hasn't
> been broken.

Ok so if we had a special #ifdef for 'TRUE_MD5 and would manually tweak/mark up the 2 or 3
places
that we know we need a real MD5 - we could have a 'fiddle' mode where we silently return a
better 'md5'
in the places where we would like to use a SHA256 but it is just too much hassle to adjust
things.

Dw.