apr-dev mailing list archives

From Yann Ylavic <ylavic....@gmail.com>
Subject Re: SHA256 and friends.
Date Fri, 20 Jan 2017 15:52:43 GMT
On Fri, Jan 20, 2017 at 4:19 PM, Dirk-Willem van Gulik
<dirkx@webweaving.org> wrote:

> Ok so if we had a special #ifdef for 'TRUE_MD5 and would manually tweak/mark up the 2
or 3 places
> that we know we need a real MD5 - we could have a 'fiddle' mode where we silently return
a better 'md5'
> in the places where we would like to use a SHA256 but it is just too much hassle to adjust
things.

MD5 *is* MD5, preferably used (and not recommended) for
non-cryptographic purpose, but still I think apr_md5()'s result
shouldn't differ from whatelse_md5()'s.

We can't break users silently, if they use MD5, well they have it.

Regards,
Yann.