apr-dev mailing list archives

From Ivan Zhakov <i...@visualsvn.com>
Subject Re: 1.6 apr/apr-util scope/timetable?
Date Sat, 24 Dec 2016 07:23:00 GMT
On 21 December 2016 at 10:05, Jacob Champion <champion.p@gmail.com> wrote:
> Ooh, this caught my eye. Mild apologies for poking my head in.
>
> On 12/20/2016 10:48 PM, Ivan Zhakov wrote:
>>
>> The problem with generators like CMake that they multiply problems in
>> MSVC + SDK.
>

> Can you expand on this? I'm quite happy with CMake + APR 2.0 + httpd on
> Windows for my test builds.

I mean that with CMake you may get many combinations of CMake
problems/quirks and MSVC problems.

Regarding my current problem: I'm getting the following when I attempt
to build expat:
[[[
runtestspp.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol
_align_limit_to_full_utf8_characters referenced in function "void
__cdecl test_utf8_auto_align(void)" (?test_utf8_auto_align@@YAXXZ)
[D:\Ivan\SVN\expat-cmake\runtestspp.vcxproj]
]]]

>> I personally still prefer using native build tools, like APR *already*
>> uses for other platforms: autoconf/configure for *nix, NWGNUMake for
>> Netware. The only benefit would be if CMake will be possible for *all*
>> platforms, for *nix feel CMake pain too :) In this case benefit would
>> to have single place for included source files etc.
>

> This position confuses me a bit. I thought the entire point of CMake was to
> generate a native build system, no? And you can choose *which* build system
> to generate based on the tools you have available to you, which is awesome.
>
> I understand CMake has bugs, and I agree that those bugs have to be weighed
> against the benefit of using "yet another" tool. But the job of the CMake
> developers is to find and fix those bugs, while the job of APR developers
> should be to find and fix bugs in APR (as opposed to fixing bugs in yet
> another handcrafted build system).

Indirection is the problem: I have to find the way how to instruct
CMake to generate native build system files as I want and don't break
other generators result.

>> CMake pollutes working copy with some unrelated files.
>

> ...it does? I don't think I've had any pollution with my workflow, since
> CMake gives you the option to separate the build tree from the source tree.
> What files do you see showing up?

I wasn't aware that CMake has an option for separate build tree. How I
can enable it?

>> Generated solution/project files are not perfect and to tweak them
>> developer have to deal with CMake.
>

> Agreed. But three years down the road, after the expert who hand-crafted a
> custom .mak solution has moved on to better things and we're on Visual
> Studio vNext, I'm guessing you'll find the same thing will happen there too
> -- unless you have a plan in mind to avoid it?

Well, Visual Studio vNext is going to support CMake builds out of the
box and it sounds very promising. But I cannot get it work for APR yet
:(

--
Ivan Zhakov