apr-dev mailing list archives

From Florian Weimer ...@deneb.enyo.de>
Subject Re: Optimization, modern C and APR 2.0 onwards
Date Sun, 22 Nov 2015 09:52:11 GMT
* William A. Rowe, Jr.:

> I'm wondering how the group would react to refactoring some of APR 2.0
> to either offer inline code for many of our heavily consumed functions,
> or offering inline + fn implementations alongside one another?

The downside of inline functions is a much larger ABI.  Inline
functions can only access non-opaque structs, and client code will
hard-code field offset (and maybe struct sizes, too).  Even minimal
changes to struct definitions or inline function definitions will
require recompilation of all client code using it (at least from a
formal point of view).

Florian