apr-dev mailing list archives

From Graham Leggett <minf...@sharp.fm>
Subject Re: expat upgrade to 2.1.0
Date Sun, 01 Nov 2015 18:16:55 GMT
On 31 Oct 2015, at 7:48 PM, Michael Felt <mamfelt@gmail.com> wrote:

> I would like to repspond positively on this suggestion that "something" be done.
> It could be updated, and fortunately expat is not a package with frequent (security)
updates,
> but it is external. What may have been good before is perhaps not as correct anymore.
>
> a) expat needs to be closer to mainstream: there are many features
> in expat that have been introduced since then.
> The embedded expat is not packaged as an internal (aka static) library - but appears
as a separate library.

> I ran into this problem when packaging something else that needed the latest and greatest
(i.e., 2.0.1 as base).

> My solution is to repackage apr, apr-util and httpd after removing
> the internal expat - so that I have latest and greatest for both - and can update it,
> in principle - separate from apr.
>
> I would vote to make external expat the default and/or just remove expat from apr.

Unfortunately our version rules forbid the removal of expat from APR(-util) v1.x, as this
would break APR for people who are using expat already.

Adding the option to link to an external expat is definitely an option, on condition there
is a backwards-compatible guarantee on behaviour from the APR library.

Regards,
Graham
—