apr-dev mailing list archives

From Branko ─îibej <br...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Lua co-routines
Date Sat, 26 Sep 2015 19:11:15 GMT
On 26.09.2015 19:10, Jim Jagielski wrote:
> I've been keen on libmill, which provides a golang-like
> goroutine library. It seems that such functionality would
> be cool for APR and APR-based apps (like serf and httpd).
>
> Then I started thinking: Lua also has a great coroutine impl
> and it is also MIT licensed and might be easier to fold
> into APR. Anyone ever look at that? Having something like
> apr_routine() would be awful cool.

Whilst I agree that co-routines are useful, I don't see a good reason to
fold this into APR. I feel that APR has already departed far from its
"portable runtime" promise. With database connectors and whatnot it's
become a bit of a mastodont. We really should rethink what we're doing
here; APR is no longer the "Apache (httpd) Portable Runtime", it's used
by other projects that don't need all the luggage.

And furthermore, it's not 1999 any more: the reasons why it was a good
idea to bundle, e.g., an XML parser or a BerkeleyDB frontend into APR
are no longer valid. I wish we'd pared APR-2.0 down to the basics of
memory management, filsystem and I/O abstraction. We surely don't want
to invent yet another coprocessing library.

-- Brane