apr-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: Time for APR 2.0?
Date Fri, 28 Aug 2015 12:02:41 GMT

> On Aug 27, 2015, at 7:53 PM, Noel Butler <noel.butler@ausics.net> wrote:
>

>> That's why I want us to extend cmake to do the unix build as well.
>>

> The biggest bitch I here from *nix/bsd system admins  everywhere is cmake, the largest
bitch is people know how to use --with-foo --with-bar  now after decades, THEY, the people
you expect to use your software, have to learn it no longer works that way, I know of multinationals
change software because of cmake, I've seen a well known large international issue a policy
that they will remain on old unsupported versions of mysql because they moved to cmake.

> autoconf et al, might be ol school, but every man, woman, and dog knows and understands
it, and its more than time proven, I've heard that cmake is an in thing for windows stuff
(I dont use any windaz anywhere in our ops), but have you seen the stats on windows servers
V *nix/bsd lately, cmake may or may not be nicer for devs, but devs rarely manage any large
number of servers outside of their own build vm numbers, so I'd think twice before changing
unless you keep ol school as well.

> I for one, consider it a PITA as well, thats my opinion anyway.

Mine as well..., fwiw.