apr-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Hett <ste...@egosoft.com>
Subject Re: minor APR 1.5.2 build error on Windows
Date Mon, 22 Jun 2015 10:58:01 GMT
Hi Gregg,
> On 6/22/2015 2:49 AM, Stefan Hett wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I just tested building APR 1.5.2 from source on windows, following
>> the instructions from the readme file.
>>
>> compiling (aka: nmake -f Makefile.win) succeeded without problems,
>> but the following install command (aka: nmake -f Makefile.win
>> PREFIX=FOO install) failed with return code 0x1:
>>
>> copy Release/libapr-1.pdb "..\apr-dist\bin\" <.y
>> The system cannot find the file specified.
>> NMAKE : fatal error U1077: 'copy' : return code '0x1'
>> Stop.
>>
>> Without looking at the build script I assume that the PDB is not
>> created for Release builds and therefore the file is missing.
>>
>> Maybe worth either adjusting the linker/compiler settings so the PDB
>> is also generated in Release builds or adding a file-existence-check
>> prior to the copy operation, so building doesn't issue that error?
>>
>> For me that's not a problem here. Just thought might be good to raise
>> that point so that user experience with APR could be improved.
>
> But it is there, look at the Link line in libapr.mak
> /pdb:"$(OUTDIR)\libapr-1.pdb"
>
> It didn't get produced for some reason. What Visual C++ version are
> you using?
Using Visual Studio 2010 SP1 here.

I'm not that familiar with APR internals. So pardon me if I'm wrong here.
I assume you are refering to apr/libapr.mak here. For instance in line 174.

I can see that the /pdb-parameter is specified. However I don't see the
/debug parameter here. To my knowledge the /pdb parameter just specifies
the output filename for the PDB. It doesn't actually specify that the
PDB is to be generated (for which the /Debug parameter would be used
for). Also see: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/kwx19e36.aspx

Am I on the wrong page here?

Regards,
Stefan