apr-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Trawick <traw...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release APR 1.5.2
Date Mon, 27 Apr 2015 12:28:55 GMT
On 04/27/2015 08:15 AM, Jeff Trawick wrote:
> On 04/26/2015 11:59 PM, Gregg Smith wrote:
>> On 4/25/2015 6:39 AM, Jeff Trawick wrote:
>>> +/-1
>>> [  ] Release APR 1.5.2 as GA
>>
>> Win 8.1, VS 2013 x86, zip, retro build
>> apr tests lib&dll pass
>> httpd-2.4.12 build regression
>>
>> Win Vista, VS 2008 x86, zip, retro build
>> apr tests lib&dll pass
>> httpd-2.4.12 build regression
>> apr-1.lib(rand.obj) : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol
>> __imp__UuidCreate@4 referenced in function _apr_os_uuid_get@4
>> This happens on many projects in /support that link to the static lib
>> (ab, httdigest, etc.).
>>
>> I'm kind of stumped as to what change has done this. I can easily
>> compensate for it in httpd and is probably the best way on the retro
>> build.
>>
>> I'm +/-0
>>

> My best guess as to the trigger: file_io/win32/pipe.c now uses
> apr_generate_random_bytes() which is implemented in the same file that
> has the only call to UuidCreate() (rand.obj).
>
> I wonder if some objects can be omitted from apr-1.lib based on their
> use within the library :(  I see " /OPT:REF eliminates functions and
> data that are never referenced; /OPT:NOREF keeps functions and data
> that are never referenced. ...  By default, /OPT:REF is enabled in
> non-debug builds." at
> https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bxwfs976.aspx

(the idea being that we didn't notice the need for an extra Windows
library in parts of httpd that link apr statically in the past because
the code which calls UuidCreate() was omitted)

httpd/2.4.x/support/passwd_common.c uses apr_generate_random_bytes; that
presumably uses the apr static library too, so this doesn't seem to hold
water.