apr-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Trawick <traw...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Question about patches
Date Mon, 16 Mar 2015 20:52:32 GMT
On Mon, Mar 16, 2015 at 3:34 PM, Christophe JAILLET <
christophe.jaillet@wanadoo.fr> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I would like to have details about the way patches should be submitted and
> backported within APR.
> The process seems to be different than the one from httpd.
>
> In http://apr.apache.org/guidelines.html, it is stated that changes do
> not require review and that only the bigger ones are (only) encouraged to
> be reviewed.

correct

> In svn, we can find trunk, 1.6.x branch, 1.5.x branch...
> Current release is 1.5.1
>
> I assume that previous release (1.4.x...) are no more maintained

correct, although there is no specific prohibition on putting fixes there

> Which one(s) should be used for changes? The 3 of them (trunk, 1.6.x ,
> 1.5.x)?

Generally: A CHANGES entry is needed in the first release stream that
introduces a fix or feature, and a CHANGES entry is not needed for
something that fixes an unreleased feature.  So a fix backported to the
currently-released stable branch (1.5) needs a CHANGES entry only in the
1.5.x branch.  When 1.6.x and 2.0 are released they will implicitly include
items mentioned in the CHANGES for a prior release.

We have to remember to announce fixes/features in some scenarios:

If for example we were releasing both 2.0 and 1.8 branches regularly, then
a fix backported to 2.0 and 1.8 should be listed in both CHANGES files.
If the only actively released branch is 1.5.x and a fix is backported to
1.6.x and 1.5.x and 1.5.x/CHANGES is updated, but then we jump to a 1.6.0
release then we need to fix 1.6.0 CHANGES to include it.

What's the motivation?  Tell users what they're getting without needless
duplication.

Currently 1.6.x/CHANGES has some bugs in that it documents stuff in
1.5.x/CHANGES; that would presumably be checked for before any 1.6.0
release.

What is the main difference between 1.6.x (not release yet) and trunk?

The main difference between 1.x and trunk is that trunk has apr and
apr-util merged.

1.6.x is like 1.5.x branch but has a few new features, presumably all
documented in 1.6.x/CHANGES.

Does odd/even numbers have a special meaning as in httpd?

no

--/--

Also see http://apr.apache.org/versioning.html

--