apr-dev mailing list archives

From Rainer Jung <rainer.j...@kippdata.de>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release APR-util 1.5.4
Date Fri, 19 Sep 2014 18:13:29 GMT
Am 19.09.2014 um 18:37 schrieb wrowe@rowe-clan.net:
> Aren't most of these issues resolved by correctly using pkg-config where
> it is available?

pkg-config doesn't help for

- crypto configure for OpenSSL expected to fail at least on Solaris,
    because when linking against the libssl we need
    the additional flags "-ldl -lsocket -lnsl". Currently
    there's no way to fix this apart from hacking configure.
    For Linux I'm not sure, but likely you'll need "-ldl".

- configure fails for Berkeley DB in non-standard path,
    because it doesn't add an rpath to conftest and then tries
    to run the compiled conftest binary.

- no rpath for ldap, mysql and crypto dso extensions. So no
    way to run the result without LD_LIBRARY_PATH.
    Interesting: the m4 file does add an rpath only for oracle.
    Since there's no platform independent way to add rpath,
    we might want to remove it everywhere (and users would need
    to use the respective LDADD variables).

- no rpath for ldap, mysql and crypto dependency libs when building
   without dso support, e.g. when there's only one big apr util library.

Using pkg-config does enter the right rpath to the extension libs for
expat, sqlite, apr and oracle, so no LDADD needed there.

> In any case, that isn't a showstopper against 1.5.4 IMHO, since these
> don't represent regressions AFAIK.

Agreed, that's why I voted +1.

Rainer