apr-dev mailing list archives

From Rainer Jung <rainer.j...@kippdata.de>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release APR-util 1.5.4
Date Fri, 19 Sep 2014 12:57:27 GMT

Am 17.09.2014 um 01:47 schrieb Jeff Trawick:
> Tarballs/zipfiles are at http://apr.apache.org/dev/dist/
> <http://apr.apache.org/dev/dist/>
>
> Shortcut to CHANGES files:
>
> http://apr.apache.org/dev/dist/CHANGES-APR-UTIL-1.5
> <http://apr.apache.org/dev/dist/CHANGES-APR-1.5>
> http://apr.apache.org/dev/dist/CHANGES-APR-UTIL-1.5
> <http://apr.apache.org/dev/dist/CHANGES-APR-1.5>.4
>
> autoconf version: 2.69 (same as recent apr and apr-util)
> libtool version: 2.4.2 (same as recent apr and apr-util)
>
> +/-1
> [+1] Release apr-util 1.5.4 as GA

No regressions, +1 for release.

Summary
=======

- some libtool m4 files not deleted by buildconf (see below)

- crypto configure for OpenSSL expected to fail at least on Solaris,
    because when linking against the libssl we need
    the additional flags "-ldl -lsocket -lnsl". Currently
    there's no way to fix this apart from hacking configure.
    For Linux I'm not sure, but likely you'll need "-ldl".

- LDADD flags are typically not respected during configure,
   only during the make.

- configure fails for Berkeley DB in non-standard path,
    because it doesn't add an rpath to conftest and then tries
    to run the compiled conftest binary.

- no rpath for ldap, mysql and crypto dso extensions. So no
    way to run the result without LD_LIBRARY_PATH.
    Interesting: the m4 file does add an rpath only for oracle.
    Since there's no platform independent way to add rpath,
    we might want to remove it everywhere (and users would need
    to use the respective LDADD variables).

- no rpath for dependency libs when building without dso support,
    e.g. when the ldap, crypto, mysql, oracle, sqlite etc. extensions
    are all in the big apr util library.

- testall often fails in testcrypto when testing nss passphrase
   (see below).

Details
=======

- svn compared with gz, bz2 and zip only expected differences
    except for the following in the directory xml/expat/conftools
    which are not a blocker;
    IMHO we could remove those at the and of buildconf
      libtool.m4
      lt~obsolete.m4
      ltoptions.m4
      ltsugar.m4
      ltversion.m4

- files signed, checksums correct

- built and made check on the following platforms:

    - Solaris 8 and 10 Sparc (gcc 4.1.2 resp. 4.9.0)
    - SuSE Linux Enterprise 10 32 Bit and 10 and 11 64 Bit
    - RedHat Enterprise Linux 5 and 6, 64 Bit

    - using all combinations of:

      - apr 1.5.1
      - expat builtin / 2.1.0
      - OpenSSL 1.0.1i (plus a few patches)
      - dso disable / enable
      - Berkeley DB 6.1.19
      - sqlite 3.8.6
      - mysql 6.0.2 (only Solaris)
      - oracle 11.2.0.2.0 (Solaris 10), resp. 10.2.0.5.0 (Solaris 8)
      - platform nss (Solaris 10 and RHEL 6)

- make check for the successful build ran fine for 168 builds,
   but failed for 56 builds:

   - 56 failures in testcrypto
      testing crypto for nss gives errors on Solaris 10 and on RHEL
      where I had built crypto with nss and OpenSSL (no nss build
      on the other platforms). For Solaris 10 and RHEL 6 only if
      dso is disabled, for RHEL 5 also if dso is enabled.
      For details see my 1.5.1 vote mail.

- checked httpd builds for 2.2.29 and 2.4.10 against this version
   on Solaris 10, SLES 11 and RHEL 6:
   - builds succeed
   - test suite runs without regressions

Regards,