apr-dev mailing list archives

From "Bert Huijben" <b...@qqmail.nl>
Subject [Patch] R/W lock slowness on Windows (Was: Windows R/W lock comment / Reader Writer lock performance on Windows)
Date Sat, 02 Aug 2014 09:02:41 GMT
	Hi,

With this mail I would like to ping the original problem with the second
patch I send to the list. This patch doesn't have the likely original
problems of potentially changing the lock behavior to a spin lock, but
provides all the performance improvements anyway.

It just replaces the Windows inter-proces mutex in the apr code with the
already existing apr-mutex implementation, which is usually implemented as
the far more efficient Windows in-process Critical section.

This makes the implementation 10* to 140* times more efficient on Windows
and more similar to the performance on other platforms. A performance fix
like this is critical for Subversion, or we would have to implement our own
r/w locking implementation for our caching infrastructure.

	Bert