apr-dev mailing list archives

From Gregg Smith <...@gknw.net>
Subject Re: Building apr on win32
Date Fri, 13 Jun 2014 16:57:55 GMT
> Greg,
>
> On 6/13/14, 12:24 PM, Gregg Smith wrote:
>> Old instrucions for building in IDE really. If you want to build in the
>> IDE just open apr-util.dsw and allow VC to convert.
>>
>> If you want to build at the command line;
> Yeah, I'd like something that I can script. Right now, there's basically
> one guy who knows how to build tcnative on win32. We're trying to change
> that ;)
>
>> On 6/13/2014 8:49 AM, Christopher Schultz wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I'm trying to build apr on win32 from the command-line and I'm running
>>> into some resistance. I'm using Visual Studio 12 on Windows 8.1. I have
>>> installed the "Windows SDK" as well to try to help, but it doesn't seem
>>> to have improved things.
>>>
>>> I'm following the instructions found here:
>>> http://apr.apache.org/compiling_win32.html
>>>
>>> I have downloaded the ZIP files for apr, apr-util, and apr-iconv and put
>>> them into the requisite directories.
>>>
>>> I've run VS's VC\bin\vcvars32.bat to get the build tools in the path,
>>  From here cd to c:\work\apr-util then
>>
>> nmake /f makefile.win ARCH="Win32 Release" buildall checkall
>>
>> See the makefile.win file for all possible options.
> Okay, that seems to get started, but I haven't told it where to find
> OpenSSL. I'd like to make sure that the crypto routines get built, and
> makefile.win doesn't really make it clear (to me, anyway) how to specify
> where the OpenSSL libraries, headers, etc. exist.
>
> It looks like ../crypto/[cryptos] should exist and perhaps it will
> automatically look for ../crypto/openssl/stuff. Do I have that right?

Crypto, here's what you'll have to do;

Edit apr-util\include\apu.hw and change the 0 to 1 for

#define APU_HAVE_CRYPTO         0

#ifndef APU_DSO_MODULE_BUILD
#define APU_HAVE_OPENSSL        0

If you look at apr-util\crypto\apr_crypto_openssl.mak
you will notice it looks for needed headers in "../../openssl/inc32" and
libs in "..\..\openssl\out32dll" which translates to
c:\work\openssl\inc32 and c:\work\openssl\out32dll

You mentioned compiling in openssl statically (in your reply to Jeff I
believe), in windows we normally compile and use DLLs, you would have to
modify apr_crypto_openssl.mak to build using the openssl static lib.

and to build it's

nmake /f makefile.win ARCH="Win32 Release" CRYPTO_LIST="openssl"
buildall checkall

>> VC11 (2012) does not like precompiled headers in apr-iconv, you will
>> need to edit
>> c:\work\apr-iconv\build\modules.mk.win and remove;
>>
>> /Yciconv.h
>> /Yuiconv.h
>>
>> from the file, save and then build.
> I'll try with a stock check-out. If I run across any errors, I'll remove
> those files and rebuild.

Regards,

Gregg